Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Apologies

So I may have left everyone hanging for a few days there. I am sorry about that. I know I do have a few readers at this point, so I had such a build up to my last day and then...nothing.

Well, who would have guessed, life became really busy! I was gone most of my week that I had off between jobs, and then I was either working on freelance, grad school, or at college working on my classes and attending new faculty orientation.

New faculty orientation has so far been a mediocre experience. I'm teaching at the same school I attended so most of what has been said so far is old hat. Starting next Wednesday though, I think I'm going to learn how to be a teacher (which is exciting since my students will be filing in so soon.) Also, I was "excited" to find out that all the New Faculty meetings for the rest of the year will be every other Thursday...the one day that I don't have classes and was not going to have to commute to work. Commuting is 3 hours a day 150 miles. Woot.

So now I'm sweating over my course objectives and syllabus to help guide me while I then have a coronary trying to actually plan out my classes. The nice thing is, that I heard many people say that it's better to just stay a few weeks ahead.

I also had my first major departmental letdown. My wife drove up separately to attend a Fac/Staff picnic only to have absolutely no one from my department in attendance. Excellent meet and greet. We did however have some good food and talked with a couple I swear I remember, but have no idea who they actually were.

My office is a huge cavern of space that I will now fill with toys, and eventually fill with knowledge. I'm thinking of printing a large format picture of myself and pasting it to the wall for fun. That or Dilbert. Either one could have some great discussion potential.

Anyhoot, it's extremely late and horrendously thunderstorming, so I'm going to go ahead and log off before I'm buzzed off.

~"Sometimes even the wisest of men and machines can be in error."

5 comments:

  1. Ehh you will be fine, I have the utmost faith as your friend.

    -Trey

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll do fine Jeff. Remember, I'm just down the hall and Wes is close by as well. Whoever told you to just stay a little ahead of planning for classes is right. Some days you will finish your powerpoint 15 minutes before class starts if you are anything like me. See you soon. I'm in Virginia this week, but I will be back in town Monday. Next week will be a little crazy because we are moving to Cedarville, but we will get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like youre having a great time! I need to come and we need to go hang out in L's office like old times. Call me once classes start, I want to hear stories of shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I do have readers! Sweet. Now I'll try to care a bit more ;)

    I know I'll do fine. It's just so new right now. I'm totally stoked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will all work out, man. You'll do great. Sorry to hear about the dept. letdown. Time to put some miles on the Toyota :)

    Tommy M.

    ReplyDelete